Tuesday, April 20, 2010

4/20/10

I have to tell you about the funniest sewing experience of my entire life so far. If you haven't already, please read my other blog of today on "sewing solutions".
I made my own body double dress form and the concept was wonderful. However, the only friend I had at the time that I could torture with wrapping my body in duct tape, was my daughter who was only about 8 or 9 at the time. Being the sweet wonderful person that she is, she tried to follow my instructions to the best of her ability. But the roll of tape was very difficult for her little hands to pull and wrap all around my body over and over again. She seemed to be doing a great job, but it was taking a lot longer than I expected. Here it was probably the hottest day in August and I'm standing still wrapped in duct tape while my daughter is making sure that she covers every inch of my torso. The sweat was dripping down my face and trickling down my back as her attention span was dwindling. She was pulling and pulling the tape to get it off the roll while actually using such great force that I kept losing my balance. When she was finally done, I pleaded with her to get me out of this thing that was so incredibly hot! She cut me out of it and it actually didn't look so bad, that was until I put it on the form. I stuffed the cavities with fiberfill, and then to my horror I had one boob by my chest and the other closer to my waist. I had bumps where I never imagined there could have been one. Apparently when she was pulling and pulling, she was re-distributing all the fat I had into different places. Still I figured that I had to go through with this since my daughter put so much effort into helping me. How could I not finish this project?
I placed the form in the middle of my sewing room for everyone to see. Little did I know that my daughter thought I was actually crazy for doing it in the first place. We laughed and laughed at this horrific sight. But the best reaction was when my Husband came home, took one look at it and said, "What the hell is that!" I proudly said,"that's me!", and he said ,"If that was really you, we wouldn't be having this conversation".
So, if you are going to attempt this project, you must get someone strong enough to wrap the tape evenly so it's not distorted, and by all means, get enough tape! This is not a project that you want to run out of tape. And finally, make sure it is done in the winter months.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me crying with laughter at work. You are so adorable. And that was definitely one of the funniest things--You describe it so perfectly.

    I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok you two, there's a reality show in here somewhere! I'll be your agent! XO Michele

    ReplyDelete